Combined Motorsport & Driving Holiday PackagesKnowledgeable staffTailormade to fit your individual needsSecure Courier Tracked Delivery26yrs ExperienceSee more
HomeGet Ready - Drivers Guide
Header image

Get Ready > Driving Abroad


Before leaving the UK, it's worth familiarising yourself with the local road traffic laws, speed limits and requirements.

Key elements to be aware of:

  • Throughout the EU they drive on the right
  • Ahead of all substantial road journeys it is wise to check your vehicle before you leave, including oil, water, tyres and lights
  • Ensure you have printed copies of your vehicle insurance and vehicle documentation
  • You need to have in the car (not in the boot) a high visibility vest and a warning triangle should you break down
  • It is also compulsory to adjust or deflect your headlights once across the channel using the appropriate stickers. Plus spare light bulbs should also be carried.
  • If your car does not have a UK registration plate, then a UK sticker should be displayed on the rear of your car/
  • A first aid kit and fire extinguisher are recommended items.
  • It's also illegal in many EU countries to carry, transport and use radar direction devices in your vehicle.

Crit’Air Clean Air Stickers (France)

France has introduced a system to reduce the amount of pollution from traffic in their major cities and certain urban areas, known as Low Emission Mobility Zones (ZFE-m).

Foreign vehicles visiting France must have a Crit’Air sticker, and some types of vehicle are not allowed in certain areas of the country at certain times. 

The sticker costs around €4.

You can order your Crit’Air sticker, and see a full rundown of the restrictions, on the French government website

The French government warns against scams which may charge more than the usual amount.

The RAC have also put together this useful guide to driving on French roads